Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Idea Napkin No. 1

1) You. My name is Savannah and I'm a fourth-year public relations major. I have nine years of experience working in a law firm and eight years of pet sitting. My full-time job has allowed me to work with many personalities and deal with new situations daily. I work well with others and independently. After graduation, I hope to obtain a job in the journalism field. I would like to eventually be an investigative reporter, and I hope to write a book someday. If I were to start this business, I think it would always remain as a second job to me just like pet sitting is right now. The exception would be that I would actually try to get new clients and a portion of the profits would help spay and neuter cats. If I had too many clients to handle, I would eventually need extra help. 

2) What are you offering to customers? Overnight pet sitting, daily check ins, and transportation to grooming appointments. 

3) Who are you offering it to? I'm offering this to primarily older adults based off of the majority of people I pet sit for. Most of them are in their 40's and older and travel often.

4) Why do they care? Customers want peace of mind knowing that their pets are able to stay in the comfort of their own home and someone is able to watch over the house while they're away. I've learned that my pro typical customer would rather pay someone to stay in his or her house than drop his or her pets off at a kennel. 

5) What are your core competencies? I'm trustworthy, dependable, and have plenty of references. I also offer competitive rates compared to local kennels.

In addition to these five elements, please spend a paragraph evaluating whether you believe these elements fit together or whether there are aspects of your business concept that are weaker / out-of-joint with the others. 

I believe these elements fit together up until I start a new job and don't have a flexible schedule anymore. I would then need to hire help and potentially increase rates. I would say the weaker aspect would be taking dogs to groomer appointments because I've only done it a couple of times and it was for the same client.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Savannah! Nine years working in a law firm is really good experience that I'm sure could be transferred to investigative journalism. I like how you've prioritized the business but it's also worth noting that in the beginning it'll require you to be more hands on. Overall your business plan looks pretty solid though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Savannah,

    I'm also in the J School, for Advertising! That's crazy that you have so many years of experience working in a law firm. I love that one of your many goals is to write a book, because I don't think I've ever met someone in college with that goal. Your love for animals is very inspiring. This post nicely outlined your professional status and goals. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Savannah,

    I agree with you that many people have the need for pet-sitting. I disagree with putting animals up in kennels for extended periods of time while the owners are gone or unavailable. Your idea would solve this problem and it has relatively low extraneous fees. Owners usually supply the food and supplies which makes the job a bit easier. Pet-sitting is a great way to make money and I believe you would get a lot of business.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Savannah,

    Your description of who you are was well thought out and written, I got a good backround of who you are. The rest of the elements were also very well organzied. I would go into more detail about what and how the product is being offered to the targeted customer, also find that thing that will seperate your company from other typical house sitting companies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Savannah,

    I think your service would be convenient for a lot of people and your years experience in the field is an advantage. I believe a larger amount of people would find your service appealing if they knew what you would like to use part of your profits for, so maybe you should bring your target's attention to this charity aspect of your service. A lot of large companies have already successfully leveraged charity like this as a type of marketing tool. Also, maybe you could get some outside help at first to improve the aspect you find the weakest and to provide a better service until you become more familiar with taking dogs to groomer appointments.

    ReplyDelete