Friday, May 24, 2019

Forming An Opportunity Belief

I believe an opportunity exists in the overpopulation of cats living outside. The unmet need is that these animals require food, water, medical care, and shelter so that they can live a safe and healthy life. This need has and will always exist because of the abundance of cats that are not spayed or neutered. As of right now, there are people and organizations that foster animals at their own financial risk to try to control the population. I am 100% sure this opportunity exists. These animals are everywhere, and I don't believe there will ever be enough help for all of them. I believe more resources should be made available to the public so that it can do its part in helping reduce the cat population because it is our responsibility.

Prototypical customer 1: 7-Eleven nearby with a colony of cats
There is a 7-Eleven near a movie theater close to me that has had a colony of cats for many years now. Every time I go there I always see cats. There is a jar inside the store by the register that is for donations for the care of the cats. I've spoken to workers at this location before about the cats here and there, and spoke to someone new this time. The 7-Eleven is not responsible for the cats and the idea to care for them was arranged by a local rescue group called "Pawsibilities Rescue." The worker on shift did not know how many years Pawsibilities Rescue has been caring for the cat colony, but that the cats are well taken care of. It was clear that the business supports the rescue efforts from the organization and it does not see the cats as a burden to the business. The rescue group feeds them daily and is active in spaying and neutering any cats that show up to the colony.

Prototypical customer 2: Hair salon nearby that feeds a colony of cats
I spoke to a hair salon owner that has been in business for over five years. She stated that there has always been a couple of cats in the area, but has seen in increase in the past few years. She began feeding them a few years ago at her own expense, even coming to the location on her days off to make sure they are fed. Her business is located in an office space that is owned by someone else, and last year she was told that she could not feed the cats on the property. If she wanted to continue to feed them then she had to put food on the sidewalk, away from the property. Although she expressed an interest in helping them, she does not have the resources to TNR (trap-neuter-return). She does know one person that has taken a couple kittens from the property to foster them, but there are still many cats there that need help.

Prototypical customer 3: Local animal foster parent
CCFAW is a local organization that tries to reduce the pet population by providing affordable spaying and neutering and low cost shot clinics. If cats come from a registered colony, then these services are free. Through the organization I was able to speak to Sharon, who rescues feral and free roaming cats by TNR. Sharon has been rescuing and fostering cats for a couple of years now and got started by contacting CCFAW so that she could learn how to get started. If the cats are not feral, she will continue to foster the cats and adopt them out. She stated that she experiences the need of extra help because she is responsible for most of the costs for the cats. If she traps a cat that is sick or injured, then she must pay for its medical care, as well as food and litter. She cares for multiple cats at a time in her home, and feeds a cat colony daily. While she is aware of the impact she is making, she expressed that one person cannot do it all and always welcomes help from other animal foster parents.

Reflect: After speaking with my prototypical customers, I still believe an opportunity exists. I learned that cat colonies may not be as cared for even though it looks like it. The salon owner proved this by saying that she only feeds them, and the building owner has tried to stop it. Cat colonies require much more than just food and water if trying to help control the overpopulation.

Summarize: The opportunity I believe that exists is some sort of nonprofit rescue group that can be on call when someone sees an injured or sick cat, and a cat colony that may look like it is not being fed. While the CCFAW offers affordable resources to the public to help the cats, people still must pay for a lot of the costs themselves. If someone sees an injured or sick cat, he or she may want to help it but cannot afford to help it. Calling an organization that is dedicated to rescuing the cats to let it know where the cat is located is better than doing nothing. I believe my opportunity is accurate, but similar to the resources (rescue groups and animal foster parents) already available. I do believe this opportunity would be more active in rescuing the cats because it would be paying for the costs from donations and relying on animal foster parents. I think entrepreneurs should adapt their opportunities based off of customer feedback and realistic expectations. If there is a pattern from customer feedback and it differs from the original opportunity, I would say that it should be adapted or at least explored. Customers can offer insight that an entrepreneur may not have thought of.

3 comments:

  1. Savannah,

    I like how your opportunity topic is one of great value and importance, rather than a superficial idea like mine (lipstick smudges on drinking glasses). The way you approached your interviews seemed a bit more focused on confirming the need, however, while I did not see a new idea that you were suggesting as a solution.

    Besides the non-profit organizations that already exist, could you think outside the box for a different approach? For example, a significant amount of state lottery money is allocated every year toward public schools. How was that arranged? Is there a way to pursue requesting a small portion of those lottery funds toward this cause, even if solely for the process of spaying and neutering? Is there anything that could be done through local or state government to enforce spay and neutering requirements for pet owners?

    For many years, Bob Barker on the original "The Price is Right" always closed his show with a public service message to please spay and neuter your cats. Perhaps another idea would be to find celebrities who understand and care about this need, and gain their help in providing a solution.

    My point is to look for new and different solutions to existing problems, especially if there could be a more cost-effective and easier to implement system. I think that when you are passionate about something, and find others who share in your vision, brainstorming can be very productive.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Savannah! I really like your problem since it's far reaching and helps both cats and people. I think everyone has seen strays and it's especially true where I live. I think you could go a step further and maybe even prevent abandonment? It's all about the why. I like how you put in time asking a variety of people from different backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Savannah,

    I can personally relate to your post because I have experienced stray animals that don't have a home and need help. All three interviews are detailed precisely to give me a clear image of the situation. I am sure many people would be willing to volunteer their time helping at a rescue shelter.

    ReplyDelete