Friday, July 12, 2019

Growing Your Social Capital

Due to the entrepreneurship I chose, I was not able to find a supplier to the pet sitting industry. This "industry" doesn't require any type of supplies from myself.

1)

Renee.

Domain expert. She TNRs cats, fosters, and pet sits. 
I met Renee through my friend, Kelly. 
Renee has been pet sitting for several years, so I asked her what her services included and how much she charged. Like me, she only does the basics, such as overnight stay and drop ins. This also includes bringing in the mail, watering the plants, or whatever the owner asks that they would typically do while away. She administers medicines as needed, but she doesn't transport animals anywhere, such as to the vet, groomers, or dog park. She also charges more than I do. Renee advised me that I should charge more to make it worth my time, and I agreed.

Including this person in my network can be beneficial because I can inquire with her about how much I should charge in unique situations. I can also go to for her help when I want to start TNRing, or help her do it so that I can learn when the time comes. 
2)

Lorraine.

Expert on market.

I contacted Lorraine through 24-7 Watchdog, a local pet sitting business.

I asked inquired about her services and fees, but unlike myself, pet and house sitting is her only job. She does not TNR. I also asked her about what she thought of my idea to TNR with money from a pet sitting job. She felt positive about it, but agreed that this type of opportunity would take up a lot of time.

As a student, I think having her in my network will be beneficial if I needed more advice, but I don't think she would be in my network for long because she would eventually become a competitor.

Finally: Reflect. This experience differed from my other networking experiences because I found it to be more challenging. I don't require any supplies (besides traps, but I can buy that myself when the time comes), and I don't sell any products that need to be produced. I provide the service by just being there. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Savannah,

    I also found this exercise to be much much more challenging than the last one. Not only was it hard to find the right people to interview but also getting a response. However, it looks like you received some great feedback. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Savannah,

    Your business idea works perfectly for this assignment, because I believe that is the most important component for you. Because you are providing a service, social capital and gaining knowledge from those who know best will have positive effects on your business plan. I can understand how you claim this was difficult in your reflection. Building a network is not easy and certainly takes a lot of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Savannah,

    I found this assignment very difficult to get in contact with the people who are invloved with my opportunity. I think its great that you had interactions with the people you contacted, it helped you recieve feedback on your opportunity and allows you to adjust anything you think might need it. I agree with, beint a student it is incredibly important have people like that in your network.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Savannah,

    I think you did a great job pinpointing the right people that you need to have your idea thrive. I think you will learn a lot from lorraine because shes an expert in your market and having her in your corner will give you great insight and increase your personal capital.

    ReplyDelete