Friday, July 19, 2019

Venture Concept No. 1

Opportunity: Pet owners who travel and do not want or unable to bring their pets with them need a pet sitter. Changes in the environment creating this opportunity is that it is an inconvenience to travel with pets for several reasons. Pet owners must pack additional supplies for their pets, pets are often under stress when traveling, and hotels can charge extra for pets. Pets who are under stress may also damage property in the hotel, which can cause the pet owner to lose their deposit or even be charged more. It also limits the pet owners as to how long they can be out of the room, or rental, because they must check on their pet(s) and let them out. This market is everywhere because it consists of any pet owners that travel or are out of their house for long periods of time that may require someone to check on their pet(s). Customers are satisfying this need by hiring a pet sitter, making reservations at a kennel, traveling with their pet if able to, or asking for help from a friend, neighbor, or relative. This is a big opportunity because of the convenience an in house pet sitter can provide while also watching the house and taking care of daily house duties (mail, garbage, plants, etc.). The window of opportunity will be never-ending; when someone needs a pet sitter, the opportunity is there.

Innovation: My innovation would be considered a create service in that I would help a cat get spayed/neutered and vaccinated for every pet sitting job. This would help decrease the local cat population. I would be selling overnight pet sitting and daily visits. Locally, overnight stay would be $50. Neighboring cities in the same county but no more than 30 minutes away would increase up to $75 a night. Local check ins for dogs would include a walk, fresh water, feeding if needed, and playtime for 20 minutes for $20. Cats would include scooped litter, fresh water, feeding if needed, and playtime for 20 minutes for $10 a visit. Neighboring cities would not get daily checks in at this time due to the further locations.

Venture Concept: I think people (or new customers) will switch to this service because of the convenience it provides. I don’t think it will be hard for them to switch from a kennel because if offered the option of not having to commute their pet to the kennel with their supplies and pick them up when returning. Competitors are kennels and cheaper sitters on sites such as care.com. Their weaknesses are my references and years of experience. My business would have only me to start, and then I would hire my friend who also has experience pet sitting and TNRing.

The three minor elements
1.       What I have that will be hard to copy is being able to TNR cats. Kennels cost more money to run than what I will be doing. It will not cost me anything but gas to drive to someone’s house.
2.       The next opportunity I would like to tackle with my venture would be to someday have an animal sanctuary.

3.       For this venture, in the next five years I’d like to be able to work part-time at my current job and make enough pet sitting. In the next decade, maybe not be doing the pet sitting myself, but have multiple employees.

2 comments:

  1. Savannah,

    On this post you did such a thorough job explaining in more detail the opportunity. You provided some great insights for that. You also did a great job identifying the costs of different services. I think the trickier part is estimating and calculating what the profit margin would be.

    One thing I'm not familiar with is the term "TNR." It would be good if you included the meaning of that for those who are unfamiliar.

    I can see you have a real passion and love for the proper care of pets through the prevention of unplanned births, which is very caring and noble. I hope that you are able to make a difference with your efforts-- your heart really shows for this cause!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Savannah,
    You did a very good job of explaining the concept of your business idea. I used your post to consider alternatives to the business idea that I have created. I am pushing for a service that would allow pets to travel with their owners, so we pretty much have contradicting ideas. I am using your posts to improve my ideas and fill in the gaps. You have some really great points. Great analysis!

    ReplyDelete